Gummed up extruder

Post any question related to da Vinci series printers here.

Gummed up extruder

Postby Smaggy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Did a project but I didn't babysit it. The piece came off the table and got stuck on the extruder. I removed it, but I've got molten filament underneath the metal bit and it pushes the metal out. Is there a way I can remove it?
Attachments
extruder.jpg
extruder.jpg (215.42 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Smaggy
New Arrival

Re: Gummed up extruder

Postby jason jason » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Ok so I don't own your model but I'm sure there is an intended disassembly method. Can you take more pictures of all screws you see, and from multiple angles? I will try to help.
jason jason
Apprentice

Postby Smaggy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:38 am

Sorry it took so long, had a family emergency to deal with. I'll get those pictures up as soon as I can.

Thanks.
Smaggy
New Arrival

Postby theGleep » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:36 am

That looks like the 0.4mm extruder from my Jr. Pro. That little metal piece (if I'm right, it's a fan duct) will just "pop" off - it might not even be bent.

You can disassemble the extruder with a torx driver - all the screws are the same size. If you don't have it, Wal-Mart sells a cheap kit for $10 that has what you need.

There will be a few wires to remove, but they're all clipped in place, so no soldering to worry about.

Once you have it apart, you can pull the print head out to remove all of the plastic.

What I did when I got to this point was to boil some water in the microwave, then hold the extruder head in the water - being careful to keep the wires dry.

This softened the plastic to the point I could just pull it off.

Then re-assemble in reverse order of disassembly, and you're good to go.
My experience is all DaVinci Jr. Pro. 1.0
theGleep
Apprentice

Postby Smaggy » Thu May 03, 2018 1:56 am

Ok, I managed to get it open and the metal piece wouldn't pop off because it was jammed with plastic goo. So here's what I see. It's a lot worse than I thought.

extruder.jpg
extruder.jpg (229.64 KiB) Viewed 463 times
Smaggy
New Arrival

Postby Smaggy » Fri May 04, 2018 8:05 am

extruder clean.png
extruder clean.png (110.78 KiB) Viewed 455 times

Ok, so I picked up a tabletop vice and a variable temperature heat gun from Harbor Freight. Set the gun to 520 and picked at the mess until it all came up.

No damage to the housing or wires and it looks like it'll work out fine.
Smaggy
New Arrival

Return to da Vinci Series