Da Vinci Jr 1.0 stops feeding filament?

Post any question related to da Vinci series printers here.

Da Vinci Jr 1.0 stops feeding filament?

Postby ebrammer252 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:27 pm

I was recently given this Da Vinci Jr. 1.0 and I've been trying to get it working right. I had it working good for a while, but now all of a sudden it's having some issues. Today I noticed that it stopped feeding in filament mid-print, of course I had missed it happening so it botched a few layers. I opened up the front, pushed up the feed clamp, and pushed some filament in and it started printing again. I took the feed gear/stepper motor off and cleaned it up and checked everything and reassembled it. I tried a print again, a large one this time (3.5 hours), it ran for two hours or so (~60%) before I decided it was doing fine, and walked away from it. I came to check on it and it had stopped feeding again and botched a print and was at 80%. Same thing, push up the feed clamp and shove some filament up and it starts again, but the print is already botched.

Any idea what could be happening here? I recently disassembled the extruder and gave it a deep cleaning, I took apart the feed mechanism/stepper motor and cleaned up the rollers and the springs still have a ton of tension on them. What am I missing here?

This last print that failed at 80%, I cancelled the print. Removed the failed items from the bed and then immediately started another less time intensive print (30 minutes) and it completed them no problem, so I'm lost.
ebrammer252
New Arrival

Re: Da Vinci Jr 1.0 stops feeding filament?

Postby DH53 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:29 pm

I used to get this problem sometimes with old filament, particularly PLA. It absorbs moisture over time and then doesn't melt at the same rate as dry PLA so doesn't feed at a consistent rate. You can try drying out the filament. In an oven on very low will drive out the water. If you have a dehumidifier you can put a big box over that and your filament for a day or two. In a fridge maybe? Not sure what the rH is in a fridge but it should be lower than outside. Once it is dry keep the filament in a big ziplock bag or other sealed environment to keep the moisture out of it.

Also the connector for the heater in the print head will go bad over time so it could be yours is starting to have an intermittent problem and not maintaining the proper temperature. Sounds like you are handy, you might want to replace that connector. You can see it here, for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0KsWRas4bg. You can get replacements for a couple bucks on eBay or just use some other connector.

Hope that helps.
DH53
New Arrival

Postby goalken » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:33 am

Thanks for your helpful information. I have been struggling to find many questions about this issue. I will follow you! candy crush soda
goalken
Apprentice

Postby Nils Treutel » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:22 am

You need to read some articles about the use of Da Vinci Jr. 1.0 so that you can easily come to know the fault in it. You should get Australian term paper help and use it for positive purposes if you want to keep using it for a long duration otherwise it will continue teasing you on various occasion owing to its internal settings.
Nils Treutel
New Arrival

Return to da Vinci Series