Moving/Interlocking Parts

Post any question related to da Vinci series printers here.

Moving/Interlocking Parts

Postby PyroWild » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 pm

I got a da Vinci mini w last week, and have been quite satisfied with it thus far. All except for one problem: anything I try to print that involves moving or interlocking parts don't work.

When I try to print anything with moving parts like the following project, the parts melt together and become useless:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2805211

When I try to print anything that's intended to interlock with something else, like grips intended to allow for Nintendo Switch joycons to be slotted into them, the printed interconnecting parts are too thick to fit properly.

I've tried setting the print to excellent quality, setting the print to run as slow as possible, and lowering the nozzle temperature, but I still get these problems. Are there any settings or tricks that can help improve the accuracy of my prints and help with this?
PyroWild
New Arrival

Re: Moving/Interlocking Parts

Postby jason jason » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Although most of the work is done for you by these printers, printing objects that claim to be print in place may be hit or miss. Pay attention to what printer the author claims to have printed it on.
As a secondary measure, print out some test objects and measure there actual representation. Sometimes the axis can be off by a percentage. This happens on all printers.
Sometimes.es you can correct it by adding a bit in scale.
Try printing a single part of the interlocking part and use a caliper to measure it's accuracy. These can be obtained for cheap at many places, but remember you get what you pay for.
jason jason
Apprentice

Postby Towncity.inc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:08 pm

I use interlocking parts for a action figure i have made for his joints, i have had no printing problems and i am using medium quality (excluding the terrible PETG) with my da vinci jr 1.0 w however the filament weakens over time, mostly in hot environments (i live in a desert lucky me) don't be surprised if it does not last long for interlocking parts that can separate.
Towncity.inc
New Arrival

Postby DrC » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:47 pm

My experience:

Interlocking parts-

I use friction fit assembly quite a lot. Try adding 0.5mm to the gap a part is intended to push-fit into. Do this on small models of the connecting areas first, so you can fine tune it if necessary.

Parts bleed a bit outside their nominal X-Y dimensions. This can be most pronounced on the first layer, so bevelling off the base can help tighten the tolerance.

The Z-tolerance seems to be closer, especially if you build on a glass bed.

Moving parts-
The above comments on tolerance apply. Any gap less than 0.5mm in the design risks becoming melted closed, so if you can, build them with a clearance between parts.
DrC
Apprentice

Postby DrC » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:49 pm

My experience:

Interlocking parts-

I use friction fit assembly quite a lot. Try adding 0.5mm to the gap a part is intended to push-fit into. Do this on small models of the connecting areas first, so you can fine tune it if necessary.

Parts bleed a bit outside their nominal X-Y dimensions. This can be most pronounced on the first layer, so bevelling off the base can help tighten the tolerance.

The Z-tolerance seems to be closer, especially if you build on a glass bed.

Moving parts-
The above comments on tolerance apply. Any gap less than 0.5mm in the design risks becoming melted closed, so if you can, build them with a clearance between parts.
DrC
Apprentice

Return to da Vinci Series