questions about switching out filament spool & chip

Post any question related to da Vinci series printers here.

questions about switching out filament spool & chip

Postby Sam » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Please help me figure out how the chip device works in the filament spool of the miniMaker. I bought my miniMaker
last month on Amazon, and I would like to know if it's possible to switch out the filament spool before it is empty, and then load and print with a new spool, and then print with the previous spool again. Or does the chip system not allow that, i.e. once you change the spool, it will not accept the old one back?

Also, is there one chip that comes with the spool that comes with the machine, or does each spool have its own chip? I looked on the FAQ and the forum and could not find the answer. I think I saw a video saying that there's one chip that you switch out, but I could not locate that video again.

Thanks for your help.

Sam
Sam
New Arrival

Re: questions about switching out filament spool & chip

Postby DrC » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm appalled that there is no answer to this - surely DaVinci have somebody who can watch the problem board?

I'm a mere user, unfamiliar with your device, but the chip system on the AIO simply keeps track of how much filament is left on the spool, and it assumes you routinely change spools. If there is not enough filament on the spool you have loaded for the job it will tell you. You then load a different spool, and put the first one back for a smaller job.

The XYZ software tells you how many metres of filament your job needs, and how many metres are left on the spool.

It's a good idea too keep your own records - it's a pain swapping cartridges around to find one with enough filament on.
DrC
Apprentice

Return to da Vinci Series