Impressions of the da Vinci Color?

Post any question related to da Vinci series printers here.

Impressions of the da Vinci Color?

Postby PeterLeppik » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:32 am

I saw the Indiegogo campaign for the da Vinci Color Mini today, and I'm trying to get some user impressions of the original da Vinci Color printer (the one that launched a year ago) to see what sort of support and reliability this new model might have.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding any online discussions of this model, which is really surprising. Even on this forum, where I would expect people to come with problems or ideas, there's only a couple threads related to the da Vinci Color. That seems surprising after a year on the market--it makes me wonder if they just didn't sell very many of these.

Can anyone help me out here? If you own the original da Vinci Color, what has your experience been? In particular:

* How has the support been? Has it been easy to get repaired? Does XYZprinting stand behind their warranty? Do they send replacement parts, or do you need to send the unit back for repair?
* Speaking of replacement parts, this looks like a very closed printer and I didn't see any replacement parts for sale anywhere, even things you would expect to be wear and tear items like extruder nozzles. Is it possible for the user to perform ordinary maintenance, or does it have go back to the factory every time a nozzle clogs?
* How often do the ink cartridges need to be replaced? Any sense for the total cost of consumables? I don't mind paying somewhat more for consumables--when I got into 3D printing it wasn't possible to buy filament for less than $60/kg, but it would be nice to know just how expensive it will be.
* How usable is the slicing software? I saw that the slicer requires you to have a login at XYZprinting, which also raises the worry of gotchas like requiring a software license to use the printer.
* Any surprises, good or bad?

XYZprinting doesn't have the best reputation in the hobby community, but I'm willing to put up with a certain amount if the da Vinci Color Mini really can deliver at the price ($1K) they're offering for early buyers. But I do want to know what I'm getting into, and I'm assuming that they will treat customers of the Mini similar to the way they treated customers of the original Color.

Just to put my own experience into context, I've been 3D printing since 2013 and I've owned four different printers including both proprietary (TierTime) and open (Prusa) models. I've done just about everything short of designing and building my own printer from scratch, but I'm not morally opposed to working with a proprietary system if the price and capabilities mean there's value.

Thanks!
PeterLeppik
New Arrival

Re: Impressions of the da Vinci Color?

Postby nerbo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi, i have the same questions, because i pre-ordered a da vinci color mini on indiegogo yesterday, i feel the same things about the da vinci color original, no to many info on internet, then maybe they sell a few units, but i hope with the Price of the mini they can will sell more units and the comunity can expand fast, for example to make guides to how to repair the printer if anythings go wrong.

Im in 3d printing since last months of 2012, i starting with prusa i2, and now i how some i3 and delta printers builded by myself, then i want to do my own manteinance of the da vinci color mini.

Another thing i see is the original versión have CMYK individual inkets but the mini only have 1 cartridge with CMY (without black), then i don't know how big are the prints you can do with one cartridge that costs some money, and the same for filament spools.

hope someone can clarify how the da vinci color original Works, and how open is.
kind regards.
nerbo
New Arrival

Postby PeterLeppik » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:28 am

New information posted to the Indiegogo page looks like the ink cartridge for the Color Mini will cost $69 and only last 4-6 medium size prints. Which is an insane cost per print.

At that price for consumables, I think this printer is a dud for the home/hobby market. It's worth noting that they've lost backers since the information about the short cartridge life came out. I'm guessing they might not even sell out of the "early bird" slots.
PeterLeppik
New Arrival

Postby BunnYnnuB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello, I have the full color. I have experienced some issues. Right now XYXprinting is out of stock on color cartridges, this is problematic. The cost for each is $69.00, and of course you need black, cyan, magenta and yellow. It's very costly. Also, it's a closed proprietary system, meaning, you have to purchase XYZprinting accessories (filament, cartridges) for the printer to operate. Think about this. I had a terrible extruder crash after a software update and I expected XYZprinting to overnight me an extruder after forwarding pictures to customer service via email. My system was down for weeks because of their inability to ship promptly. I also spoke to customer service via phone (California), but the man said he could not help me. Just a note, perhaps the delay was due to the fact that customer service is in Taiwan and communication is via email only. I finally got the extruder, installed it, without instructions. And I am back to printing. Even though this printer is 'auto-leveling' you still have to calibrate and set the z-offset. So there can be quite a bit of tweaking involved. I like the printer, I am happy I have it. I wish it did not have all of the limitations I mentioned. I forgot to mention I seem to have difficulty printing with their 'clear' colors. I have tried clear red, clear green, and clear blue and they all jam. I wind up unloading and just move on. If y'all have any other Q's please ask! Tracy - :) p.s. I am somewhat experienced in 3d printing, as I own a Raise3D Pro 2+ also. Update: Color ink cartridges are still out of stock. Also, I have not been able to access the gallery for over two weeks. I asked what was the issue with the server, and they gave me a blanket statement that they were always looking for feedback. They couldn't/wouldn't answer my question about the out of stock items. Kind of difficult to print on a Color printer without ink. :? Update to add, the ink cartridges are finally back in stock, but shipping is $37.00 ground. (Sept. 20, 2018)
BunnYnnuB
New Arrival

Return to da Vinci Series